Deep Fried Sweet And Pungent Fish Shanghai Style
|Dried black mushrooms||2|
|Fish||2 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Ginger root slices||2|
|Smoked ham||2 Tablespoon|
|Green pepper||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Red chili pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger root slice||2|
|Bamboo shoots||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Have fish cleaned and scaled, but left whole. Wash; then dry well with paper toweling. Score on both sides. Sprinkle inside and out with salt.
3. Mince scallion and ginger root; arrange over fish. Sprinkle fish with sherry. Let stand 10 to 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile mince ham, green pepper, fresh red chili pepper, remaining ginger root and soaked mushrooms. Slice bamboo shoots. Cut remaining scallion stalk in 1/2 inch sections.
5. Heat oil. Sprinkle fish with flour to coat. Using a wire basket or long-handled Chinese strainer, lower in fish and deep-fry 3 minutes. Lift out and drain.
6. Repeat twice more (reheat oil each time) until fish is crisp and golden. Drain on paper toweling. Keep warm.
7. Heat remaining oil. Add ham and vegetables and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
8. Add stock, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce to the same pan and bring to a boil. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then stir in to thicken.
9. Return ham and vegetables to sauce only to heat through. Pour mixture over fish