Meat Loaf A La Wellington
|Medium mushrooms||3⁄4 Pound|
|Lean ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Minced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ketchup||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Liver sausage||1⁄3 Pound|
|Pie crust mix stick||2|
|Beaten egg||1 (For Brushing)|
1. Rinse, dry, and trim stems of mushrooms. Reserve 6 whole mushrooms. Finely chop remaining mushrooms; put into a large bowl. Add beef, bread crumbs, onion, ketchup, eggs, salt, and pepper; mix lightly.
2. Shape half of the meat mixture into a 9 X 4 inch rectangle on a jelly-roll or shallow baking pan.Make a slight indentation lengthwise in center of meat rectangle. Place reserved mushrooms in well, stem ends down. Cover with remaining meat mixture; pat gently into shape, rounding top.
3. Bake at 350Â°F about 1 hour, or until done as desired.
4. Remove meat loaf from oven and set aside to cool.
5. Beat liver sausage with a fork and spread over top of meat loaf.
6. Prepare pie crust mix, following package directions. Roll out on a lightly floured pastry canvas into a rectangle about 18 x 12 inches. Center pastry over top of meat loaf; overlap bottom about 1/2 inch. Seal. Bring sides of pastry to bottom; overlap and seal, trimming ends if necessary. Place on a baking sheet. Brush top and sides with beaten egg. Use remaining scraps of pastry for making decoration for top; press firmly in place.
7. Bake at 400Â°F about 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let stand about 10 minutes before carving.