Choco Cherry Torte
|Plain flour||85 Gram|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Cherries||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Corn flour||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream fresh||200 Gram|
|Powdered sugar||5 Tablespoon|
|Grated chocolate||1 Tablespoon|
For the cake
1. Sieve the flour and cocoa together.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar very well until thick and double in quantity. This should take 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the well-sieved flour and vanilla essence. Mix well.
4. Grease and dust a 175 mm. (7') diameter tin.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Bake in a hot oven at 450Â°F. for 5 minutes. Thereafter, reduce the temperature to 400Â°F. and bake for a further 20 minutes.
7. Cool the cake and divide into 3 parts horizontally.
For the filling and topping
1. Drain the cherries, stone and halve them. Keep aside the syrup from the can.
2. Take 120 ml. (4 fl. oz.) of syrup, add the cornflour and mix well. Cook until thick stirring all the time.
3. Add the cherries, after keeping aside a few for decoration.
4. Add the lemon juice and cochineal (and a little sugar, if required) and chill.
5. Pour the remaining syrup in a cup.
6. Add 1 teacup of Kirschwasser (a white brandy type of liquor made from cherries) if available. Alternatively, add 1 teacup of water.
7. Sprinkle a little syrup over the cake layers.
8. Beat the cream with the sugar until thick.
9. Apply a little cream over one layer of the cake. Spread half of the cherry filling and cover with another layer of cake.
10. Repeat with the next layer of cake.
11. Finally, cover the cake with cream. Decorate with grated chocolate and cherries.
12. Chill the cake thoroughly.
Cut into slices and serve.
Note: This cake can also be made using the chocolate cake base as given for Black Forest cake.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1904 Calories from Fat 395
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g68.4%
Saturated Fat 22.2 g110.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 704.4 mg234.8%
Sodium 357.8 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 353 g117.8%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.7%
Sugars 244.6 g
Protein 38 g75.1%
Vitamin A 31.4% Vitamin C 38%
Calcium 43.3% Iron 37.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet