Coffee Ice Box Torte
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce|
|Coffee essence||1 Tablespoon|
|Victoria sandwich cakes||2 (7 inch, home-made or bought)|
|Sifted icing sugar||6 Ounce|
|Instant coffee powder||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 level dessertspoon)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Double cream||6 Ounce (1 carton)|
1. Slice the cakes into 3 horizontal layers, making 6 slices in all.
2. In a large bowl, mix the butter until soft and then gradually whisk in the sugar till well blended and fluffy.
3. Crack the eggs and add them one at a time to the butter mixture while whisking well after each addition.
4. Lightly add the coffee essence and brandy and swirl in.
5. Layer these cakes slices on the bottom layer of 1 cake in a 7-in. cake tin that has been lined with foil. Fill it with one-fifth of the coffee mixture.
6. Continue all the cake and mixture layers in the same way, ending with a top layer of the sliced cake
7. Place a plate and a weight on top of the cake so that the layers adhere to each other and chill till required
8. Serve warm.