Coffee Walnut Torte
|Cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), softened|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Apricot preserves||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For coffee frosting|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|10x confectioners sugar||8 Ounce, sifted (1 Package)|
|Instant coffee powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coffee liqueur||3 Tablespoon|
|Walnut/Pecan brittle||2 Tablespoon (Or As Required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease two 9X1 1/2-inch round layer-cake pan and dust with flour.
3) In a bowl, beat together butter or margarine and 1/2 of the sugar.
4) In a cup, mix together coffee, coffee liqueur and milk in a cup.
5) Stir in alternately with remaining sugar to the butter mixture, beating until smooth, set aside
6) In a large mixer bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
7) Mix in shortening and 1 cup of milk.
8) Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
9) While still beating, mix in remaining milk, egg yolks, and vanilla beat for 2 minutes more.
10) Transfer the flour mixture into cake pans, spreading evenly.
11) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cakes comes out clean.
12) Place the pan over a wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 10 minutes.
13) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges and turn out onto wire rack.
14) Allow to cool completely.
15) Slice both the cakes horizontally and place one cake layer on a serving plate.
16) Smear with ½ cup of apricot preserve and ½ cup of coffee frosting.
17) Do the same with 2 more layers, spreading with preserves and frosting, ending with a plain layer on top.
18) Smear frost on top layer, and reserve part of the Coffee Frosting for garnish.
19) Dredge with Walnut Brittle over top of cake.
20) Fill a piping bag with star nozzle, with the remaining frosting and garnish the cake in center and on edges, and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7154 Calories from Fat 2546
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 288 g443.3%
Saturated Fat 108.3 g541.3%
Trans Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 1383.7 mg461.2%
Sodium 3318.5 mg138.3%
Total Carbohydrates 1078 g359.3%
Dietary Fiber 40.7 g163%
Sugars 719.2 g
Protein 83 g166.7%
Vitamin A 114.1% Vitamin C 127.6%
Calcium 191.7% Iron 33.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet