Choco Almond Carrot Torte
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||2|
|Eggs||6 Large, separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Ground cinnamon||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Fine)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
1. In a blender, add almonds and blend until finely ground.
2. In a 7 ½ X 5 x 2 ¾ - inch heavily greased tube pan, line with baking parchment.
3. Sprinkle the parchment lightly with bread crumbs and set aside.
4. Over a double boiler, melt chocolate and stir until smooth. Allow to cool
5. In a mixer, add egg yolk, 3/4 cup sugar and beat until creamy, add cooled chocolate and beat to mix well.
6. In a bowl, add the egg yolk mixture, bread crumbs, carrots, almonds, cinnamon, orange rind and mix well.
7. In the fresh mixer bowl, add egg whites, salt and beat until soft peaks forms. Add ¼ cup sugar gradually and beat well until peaks form.
8. In four lots, add beaten egg whites mixture to egg yolk mixture and fold in gently.
9. Into the greased tube pan, pour the batter, rotate the pan briskly back and forth just to level the top of the batter.
10. In a preheated oven, bake at 180 degrees centigrade for about 60 minutes until well set. Allow to cool in the pan.
11. When cool, cut around the sides of the cake to release it, cover with a rack, invert the cake pan and the rack, and remove the pan and the paper lining. Cover with another rack and invert again, leaving the cake right side up. Freeze until firm.
12. Slice and serve chilled.
Calories 581 Calories from Fat 251
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 325.3 mg108.4%
Sodium 320.4 mg13.3%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26%
Sugars 55.1 g
Protein 18 g36.2%
Vitamin A 116.5% Vitamin C 11.7%
Calcium 17% Iron 17.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet