Cheddar and Hazelnut Torte
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (up to half whole wheat pastry flour)|
|Hazelnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), toasted and chopped|
|Pecorino cheese/Parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||12 Ounce, coarsely grated|
1. Preheat over to 350°F.
2. Separate 1 egg, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the white.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine together the butter and flour to a soft dough.
4. Add nuts and pecorino; pat this mixture into 9-inch reversible tart mold.
5. Bake on a baking sheet at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
6. Remove, leaving the oven on; cool on rack upside down.
7. Combine yolk and remaining white with the other egg; beat gently.
8. Add crÃ¨me fraiche, pepper, and 1/2 cup Cheddar; mix well.
9. Gently turn crust out of tin onto baking sheet and brush bottom and sides with remaining egg white.
10. Spoon in custard, smooth it out, sprinkle on remaining cheese, return to oven; bake for another 25 minutes until set and golden.
11. Remove from oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes before cutting; cooling the pie makes the cutting much more neat.
Use a fork to prick the bottom of the piecrust to ensure air passes during cooking. This will make the filling firm and give a better taste to the dish.
Calories 2588 Calories from Fat 1747
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 206 g317.3%
Saturated Fat 95.1 g475.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 643.4 mg214.5%
Sodium 1454 mg60.6%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.7%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.2%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 77 g154.3%
Vitamin A 97.6% Vitamin C 8.6%
Calcium 151.7% Iron 61.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet