Lemon Angel Torte
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 450 degrees.
2) With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites till they are foamy and then add the cream of tartar and ¾ teaspoon of salt.
3) Gradually add ¾ cup of sugar and beat till stiff peaks start to form (about 7 minutes).
4) Into a greased 9-inch pie plate, spread the mixture, forming the edge.
5) In the preheated oven, place the pastry and turn off the heat.
6) Allow the shell to stand in the closed oven for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
7) To make the filling, beat the egg yolks in top of a double boiler till they are thick and lemon-colored.
8) Beat in the lemon juice, lemon peel, a dash of salt and ½ cup sugar very gradually.
9) Cook and stir the mixture over gently boiling water till it is thick (about 8 minutes).
10) Take the mixture off the heat, cover it and set aside to cool.
11) To assemble the torte, whip the cream and spread half of it in the baked shell.
12) Top the cream with the filling and then add the remaining whipped cream, covering the edges.
13) Loosely wrap and chill the torte for a minimum of 3 hours, or overnight.
14) Remove the cover and transfer the torte to a decorative serving platter. Serve chilled. Makes a very good dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2097 Calories from Fat 862
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 96 g147.3%
Saturated Fat 58.8 g293.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1071.8 mg357.3%
Sodium 289.6 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 273 g91.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.1%
Sugars 265.9 g
Protein 23 g45.1%
Vitamin A 17.6% Vitamin C 66.7%
Calcium 24.4% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet