|Cake flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F
2. Line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with waxed paper.
3. Beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon-colored.
4. Add sugar slowly, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla.
7. Fold in melted butter and mix just enough to make a smooth batter.
8. Pour batter into pans.
9. Bake in for 30 to 35 minutes.
10. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
11. Combine gelatin and milk.
12. Beat egg yolks slightly with the sugar.
13. Add to milk and cook over hot water in the top of a double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly.
14. Remove from heat.
15. Add vanilla and nutmeg.
16. Cool until slightly thickened.
17. Beat egg whites until stiff.
18. Fold in heavy cream.
19. Fold in egg yolk mixture.
20. Chill a few minutes longer, but do not let get stiff.
21. Split each layer of cake into two layers.
22. Fill between layers with custard mixture.
23. Place in refrigerator until serving time.
24. Just before serving frost entire cake with sweetened whipped cream.