Fabulous Fruit Torte
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Crushed pineapple||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained|
|Maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), drained, chopped|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) In a bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
3) Beat until the mixture forms soft peaks.
4) Gradually add sugar to the bowl and continue beating until the mixture is stiff.
5) On a sheet of heavy brown paper, mark two 8" circles.
6) Cut both the circles and place on cookie sheet.
7) On these circles, spread the meringue evenly.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until lightly colored.
9) Turn the oven off. Let it stand in the oven for 2 hours.
10) After 2 hours, take out and cool thoroughly on the cookie sheet.
11) Carefully remove the paper.
12) Meanwhile, whip 1 cup cream until stiff.
13) To the whipped cream, fold in pineapple and cherries.
14) Spread this mix between meringue layers and lightly press.
15) Chill in refrigerator overnight.
16) Just before serving, whip the rest of the cream and frost the top and sides of torte.
17) Serve chilled, garnished with cherry flowers.