Lemon Angel Torte
|For meringue shell|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon, rind||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 275 degrees.
2) To make the pie plate for meringue shell, fit a strip of foil measuring 15x2-inches into a pie plate of 9-inches. On each end, leave a 2-inch overhang. This will make it easy to remove the shell to the serving plate. Liberally coat the pie plate with margarine or butter and dust with flour to coat completely. Tap out the excess, if any.
3) To make the meringue shell, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt till the mixture is foamy-white and double in volume. Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, till it has dissolved completely and the meringue stands in firm peaks. Beating generally takes about 25 minutes when an electric beater is being used.
4) Into the prepared pie plate, spread the meringue, slightly dishing the center and swirling around the edges.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or till the preparation has turned a delicate golden in color.
6) In the pie plate, cool completely on the wire rack.
7) To remove the preparation, run a sharp knife around the edge, lifting the foil strip at the same time, so as to completely loosen. Use a spatula and the foil to life out and peel the foil off. Place the shell on a serving plate.
8) To make the filling, in top of double boiler, beat the egg yolks and egg while slightly. Add the sugar, lemon rind and juice and stir well.
9) Over simmering water, gently cook for about 10 minutes, constantly stirring, till the mixture is thick. Chill till the mixture starts to slightly mound.
10) In a small bowl, beat the cream till it is stiff and fold it into the lemon mixture.
11) Into a cooled meringue shell on the serving plate, spoon the mixture lightly and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
12) Use lemon dipped in sugar to garnish, if preferred.
13) Serve after cutting in wedges.
Calories 450 Calories from Fat 238
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.7%
Saturated Fat 15.5 g77.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 373.7 mg124.6%
Sodium 228.8 mg9.5%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.86 g3.4%
Sugars 37.8 g
Protein 9 g17.7%
Vitamin A 6.9% Vitamin C 27.8%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 5.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet