Party Pink Pouf Torte
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Slivered blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Strawberries/1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced strawberries, thawed||1 Pint, washed (2 Cups, Fresh Ones)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||3 Drop|
1. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy-white and double in volume in large bowl.
2. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks. Fold in vanilla.
3. Spoon the meringue into buttered, 8-inch springform pan; make slight hollow in middle with a spoon; sprinkle almonds over.
4. Place in hot oven (400°); turn heat off at once. Leave torte to slow-bake overnight, or at least 12 hours. Don't open oven door.
5. Remove torte from the oven; loosen around edge with knife; release spring and carefully lift off side of pan. Carefully slide torte off pan onto serving plate.
6. About 1 hour before serving, hull and slice enough strawberries to make 1 cup; spoon over meringue. (If using frozen berries, drain, reserving a few for garnish.)
7. Beat cream until stiff in a small bowl; blend in a few drops red food coloring to tint a delicate pink. Spoon over strawberries on torte; top with a halved berry; chill. Just before serving, garnish torte with remaining whole or sliced berries; to serve, slice in wedges with a sharp knife.