Chocolate Buttermilk Torte
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cocoa||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Instant espresso coffee powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||4|
|Buttercream frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange liqueur||3 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10" by 2 1/2" springform pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper; grease waxed paper.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and butter or margarine until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and next 7 ingredients; beat until blended, constantly scraping bowl. Increase speed to medium; beat
2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
3. Spoon batter into pan. Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and invert onto rack; peel off paper. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make chocolate curls: Hold chocolate squares, one at a time, between palms of hands to warm slightly. Then draw blade of vegetable peeler over surface of chocolate to make wide curls. Refrigerate curls.
5. When cake is cool, prepare Butter-Cream Frosting.
6. With skewer or fork, make holes in top of cake all over. Sprinkle orange-flavor liqueur evenly over cake. Spoon 3/4 cup butter cream into decorating bag with large writing tube; set aside. Frost side and top of cake with remaining butter cream. With butter cream in decorating bag, pipe a circle of small dollops around edge on top of cake, then pipe another circle 3 inches from edge of cake. Press some chocolate curls onto side of cake; sprinkle remaining curls in between 2 circles of dollops on cake. Refrigerate if not serving right away.