|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sliced|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans; dust with flour; tap out any excess..
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto wax paper; reserve.
3. Beat egg whites in small bowl of electric mixer at high speed until foamy-white and double in volume. Beat in 3/4 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks; reserve.
4. Beat remaining 1 cup sugar, shortening, egg yolks, vanilla and almond extract in large bowl of mixer at high speed for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in flour mixture with wire whip, alternately with milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Spread batter into prepared pans. Carefully spread reserved meringue over cake batter; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown and cake begins to pull from sides of pans. (Meringue may crack in baking, but don't worry, it will settle while cooling.)
7. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 30 minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto your hand, then gently place, meringue-side up, on wire racks to cool completely.
8. At least 2 hours before serving, beat cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl until stiff with electric mixer at medium speed.
9. Put layers together on serving plate with part of the whipped cream. Garnish cake with remaining cream and strawberries, if you wish. Refrigerate until serving time.