Black Forest Torte
|Toasted filberts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Semi sweet chocolate squares||4 Ounce, melted and cooled (About 4 Pieces)|
|Cherry filling||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||3 Cup (48 tbs), chilled|
|Confectioner's sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chocolate curls/Thin chocolate wafers||4|
1. Grease and lightly flour an 8-inch springform pan; set aside.
2. Blend grated filberts and flour; set aside.
3. Cream butter until softened. Beat in sugar gradually until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
4. Blend in the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the kirsch. Stir in nut-flour mixture until blended.
5. Beat egg whites until stiff, not dry, peaks are formed. Fold into batter and turn into the pan.
6. Bake at 375°F about 1 hour, or until torte tests done. (Torte should be about 1 1/2 inches high and top may have a slight crack.)
7. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan and cool.
8. Using a long sharp knife, carefully cut torte into 3 layers. Place top layer inverted on a cake plate; spread with Cherry Filling.
9. Whip cream (1 1/2 cups at a time) until soft peaks are formed, gradually adding half of the confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons of the kirsch to each portion.
10. Generously spread some of the whipped cream over the Cherry Filling. Cover with second layer and remaining Cherry Filling. Spread generously with more whipped cream and top with third torte layer. Frost entire torte with remaining whipped cream.
11. Decorate torte with reserved cherries and chocolate curls or thin chocolate wafers.