Spicy Fig Torte
|Blanched almonds||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), grated|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finley minced|
|Dried figs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), finley minced|
|Dry white bread crumbs/Matzos crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (325° F.). Grease the bottom of a nine-inch spring-form pan.
2. Mix the almonds, peel, figs and crumbs. Mix the spices and baking powder and add to the almond mixture. Add the cognac and mix with the fingers.
3. Beat the egg yolks until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until thick. Add the almond mixture and mix well.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter until no white shows.
5. Turn the batter into the prepared pan and bake one hour. Invert the pan on a rack, cool and remove the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with confectioners' sugar and serve with whipped cream.