The key to a fabulous tomato sauce is in the tomatoes, and that is why I love using Sunset Produce gourmet tomatoes. Sunset Produce has a contagious passion for flavor that shines in their unique Campari tomato. Sometimes it is the most of simple recipes that brings the most robust flavor, and no-where is that more true than in this traditional stewed tomato recipe. This recipe is inspired by one I saw on www.sunsetgrown.com. It is good to remember that every pound used will generally yield about a cup of sauce.
1. Cross the bottom of each Campari tomato and then blanch for 30 seconds in boiling water to soften the skins before giving them an ice bath and removing the skins.
2. Slice the bare tomatoes and then use your hands to remove the seeds placing the clean tomato slices in a big sauce-pan.
3. Once all the tomatoes have been processed, use a sieve to remove the excess juice from the seeds collected and adds that to the sauce-pan.
4. Add the olive oil and the salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
5. Once at a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes before storing in an air-tight jar.