Lentil and Tomato Soup
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as required)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Bacon rashers||2 , rinded and chopped|
|Carrots||2 , scraped and sliced|
|Tomatoes||500 Gram, skinned and chopped|
|White stock/Water and chicken stock cube- 1 cube||900 Milliliter|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Milk||1⁄2 Teaspoon (optional)|
|Toasted bread croutons||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as required)|
1) In a bowl, place the haricot beans with boiling water to cover and allow to soak for 1 hour.
2) Pour off the water and allow the beans to drain well.
3) In the cooker, melt the lard or dripping, and saute bacon, onion, carrots until the vegetables are soft without colouring.
4) Stir in the lentils, tomatoes, stock or water and stock cube, bay leaf salt and pepper.
5) See that the cooker is not more than half full.
6) Put the lid on the cooker, heat to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
7) Lower the pressure slowly and discard the bay leaf.
8) Using a hand blender, blend the soup or press through a sieve.
9) Heat and cook the soup in the open cooker.
10) Check the consistency and adjust by adding little water if needed.
11) Check for the seasoning and adjust if needed, spoon into warm soup bowls.
12) Serve hot sprinkled with chopped parsley if desired.