Green Tomato Conserve
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch|
|Whole cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed pickling spices||1 Tablespoon|
|Diced peeled tart apples||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. Lengthwise peel lemon; cut peel into thin strips like sliver.
2. In a cheesecloth bag, tie spices.
3. In a large saucepan, cook peel in water for 30 minutes.
4. In another saucepan, parboil tomatoes in water for 5 minutes; drain and coarsely chop.
5. Into the large saucepan containing cooked lemon peel, add apples, tomatoes, sugar and spice bag; bring mixture to a boil and then boil for 20 minutes with frequent stirring.
6. Remove and discard spice bag.
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes with frequent stirring.
8. Cut peeled lemon into thin slices and add to the mixture; cook for another 20 minutes with frequent stirring.
9. Into hot sterilized jars, ladle mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top.
10. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
11. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for 5 minutes.
12. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
13. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
14. Serve Strawberry Cherry Conserve for decorating desserts.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2974 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.2%
Saturated Fat 0.67 g3.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 262.3 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 758 g252.6%
Dietary Fiber 37.7 g150.8%
Sugars 703.6 g
Protein 26 g52%
Vitamin A 255.6% Vitamin C 933.8%
Calcium 40.6% Iron 64.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet