Ripe Tomato Preserves
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lemons||2 , thinly sliced|
|Whole cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Scald tomatoes, skin and weigh them.
2. Cut large tomatoes into half.
3. In a large bowl, place tomatoes and cover with sugar; let stand overnight in a cool place.
4. Next morning, drain juice.
5. In a cheesecloth bag, put together lemon (seeds discarded), salt and spices; tie the bag.
6. In a large kettle, pour tomato juice and place the spice bag; boil for 10 minutes.
7. Add tomatoes and cook with constant stirring until mixture is thick and clear.
8. Remove and discard spice bag.
9. Into hot sterilized jars, pour mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top.
10. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
11. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for 5 minutes.
12. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
13. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
14. Serve Red Raspberry Preserves with bread or toast.