|Dry kidney beans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water/Stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes/3/4 cup canned tomatoes||2 Medium, chopped|
|Minced garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
1) In a large bowl, cover the beans with sufficient water to soak overnight.
2) In a saucepan, cook the beans adding 1/2 cup of onions, 1/4 cup of tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic, the chili, cayenne and 5 cups of water.
3) Season the beans with 1 teaspoon, when tender.
4) In a large frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil to heat.
5) Add the remaining onions and garlic to sautÃ© until the onions are transparent.
6) Stir in remaining tomatoes to cook for 3 minutes.
7) Use a fork to mash 1/4 cup of beans into the mixture.
8) Add beans by quarter cups and continue mashing with the fork.
9) Cook the mixture for another 10 minutes.
10) Remove from heat and keep the pan covered to serve the frijoles warm.
11) Serve the frijoles warm by garnishing with lime slices, if desired.
Calories 177 Calories from Fat 6
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.76 g1.2%
Saturated Fat 0.12 g0.61%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 340.1 mg14.2%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 11 g22.3%
Vitamin A 12.7% Vitamin C 16.7%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 18.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet