Ham & Mushroom Stuffed Tomatoes
|Ham/Bacon /grated cheese||2 Ounce, cut finely|
|White breadcrumbs/Boiled rice||2 Ounce|
|Toasted bread croutes/Fried bread the size of the tomatoes||4|
1. Pre- heat the oven to Regulo 3 or 300°F.
2. Wash and pat dry the tomatoes. Using a knife, cut a slice off each at the end away from the stalk. Keep the tops for lids. Scoop out the insides of tomatoes. Use the tomato pulp in the filling.
3. Skin and chop onion and mushrooms finely.
4. Prepare the filling: Heat a small saucepan and melt margarine. SautÃ© onion, and bacon, if used; add mushrooms and sautÃ© without browning. Take away from heat; add ham, rice, tomato pulp and seasoning.
5. Stuff filling into tomato cases. Put a lid on each.
6. Heat a baking dish and melt margarine. Keep stuffed tomatoes in hot fat and baste.
7. Bake half way down oven for 15 to 25 minutes. or until tomatoes are just soft.
8. With a knife, cut 4 round croutes of bread, 1/4 inch thick and just about the size of the tomatoes. Toast or fry until golden brown.
9. On a tray, serve cooked tomatoes on croutes of toasted or fried bread, along with green salad.