Herbed Tomato Halves
|Tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound (4 Large Pieces)|
|Chopped green onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Marjoram leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Basil leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (4 Slices)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Halve the tomatoes crosswise.
3. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and reserve for another purpose or discard.
4. In a large shallow baking dish, arrange the tomato cups, cut side up.
5. In a skillet, melt the butter or margarine.
6. Add the onions and sauté them until soft then stir in seasonings and herbs.
7. Take pan off the heat and thoroughly stir the bread crumbs into the onion-herb mixture.
8. Spoon the mixture into the tomato cups.
9. Bake tomatoes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tomato skin begins to wrinkle and stuffing is golden brown.
10. Serve the tomato cups hot as a side dish to steaks or grills.