|Mixed dried herbs||3 Tablespoon (Oregano, Marjoram And Tarragon)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onions||8 Large, sliced into thin rings|
|Tomatoes||8 Large, thickly sliced|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F or 180 degree C
2. Grease a baking dish with oil or butter.
3. In a small bowl combine the herbs and seasonings.
4. In a skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame.
5. When the oil is hot, add onions sauté until golden brown.
6. Using a slotted spoon remove and drain the onions on absorbent paper
7. In the baking dish, layer half the tomatoes and sprinkle a third of the herb mix over them.
8. Layer the onion rings over the tomatoes and sprinkle again with herb seasoning.
9. Top with the remaining tomatoes and herbs.
10. Drizzle the hot oil from the skillet over the tomatoes.
11. Place the dish on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the tomatoes for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown on top.
12. Serve straight out of the oven, cutting into portions at the table.
13. This dish is a wonderful accompaniment to chicken and fish and tastes divine when accompanied with a great white wine like Chablis, Soave or Verdicchio