Paula'S Cold Tomatoes
|Spinach||2 Pound, cooked briefly, thoroughly drained and finely chopped|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pignoli nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Pine Nuts)|
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Monosodium glutamate||To Taste|
|Basil||To Taste (Dried Or Fresh)|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
2. Drain the spinach thoroughly, then squeeze out the remaining moisture.
3. In a skillet heat one-quarter cup of the oil with the pine nuts and saute until lightly browned. Add the onions and garlic and cook briefly until the onions are pale golden in color. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the spinach, one-quarter cup of the remaining oil, the salt, pepper and monosodium glutamate.
5. Cut the stem ends from the tomatoes, hollow them out and sprinkle the in-sides with salt, pepper, a little sugar and a pinch of basil. Stuff the tomatoes with the spinach mixture.
6. Arrange the tomatoes in a baking pan and pour the remaining oil over them. Bake until the tomatoes wrinkle, about fifteen minutes. Chill. At serving time, bring up to room temperature.