Filet O' Tofu
|Tofu||19 Ounce (1 block)|
|Safflower oil||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cabbage leaves||2 Tablespoon, finely sliced|
|For the batter|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark beer||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Old bay seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Seaweed powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the tarter sauce|
|Sweet pickle relish||1 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Medium|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Parsely||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|For the dredge|
|Seaweed powder||1 Tablespoon|
1. Take a tofu block and place it in between 2 plates and put some heavy objects to remove any liquid for 40 minutes. Once done, pat dry the tofu, wrap in a plastic wrap and freeze it until solid.
2. Preheat the oil for frying to 350 degrees F.
3. Remove the tofu from the freezer, slice into 1/8th inch slices and let it thaw before breading it.
4. For the batter: In a bowl, mix together the flour, dark beer, salt, pepper, old bay seasoning, baking powder and seaweed powder. Mix well until thick for batter.
5. For the tarter sauce: In another bowl, mix together the veganaise, lemon juice, dijon mustard, sweet pickle, red onion, salt, pepper and parsley. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
6. For the dredge: In a plate, add and mix together the flour, seaweed powder, salt, pepper and old bay seasoning.
7. For the tofu fillet: Cover the tofu pieces in the dredge, then dip it into the batter and deep fry it in the hot oil. Fry each side of the tofu for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Once done, remove and transfer onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
8. Take the burger buns and apply the tarter sauce on each slice, place the tofu fillets, some cabbage and cover with the other bun tarter sauce side down and serve with ketchup.