Spicy Mapo Tofu
|Chicken breast||1⁄2 Pound|
|Carrot||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), cubed|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Green onion||7 Medium, chopped (use stalks)|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Walnuts||10 Medium (halves)|
|Dried red chilies||6 Medium (spicy)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Oyster sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Potato starch||1 Tablespoon (powder)|
|Green chili||1 Medium|
|Red chili||1 Medium|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (as required)|
1) Rinse the tofu in cold water, pat dry with a kitchen towel, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
2) Cut the chicken breast into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
3) Cut the carrot into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
4) Cut a large onion into chunks and set aside.
5) Cut the green onions stalks into pieces 1/4 inch long and set aside.
6) Chop 1 green chili pepper and 1 red chili pepper and set aside.
7) Mince 4 cloves of garlic and a piece of ginger and set aside.
8) In a heated wok, add vegetable oil.
9) Add the dried chili peppers, minced garlic and ginger. Stir for 10 to 15 seconds.
10) Add the chicken, stir and cook for a few minutes.
11) Then stir in the chopped carrot, onion and waltnuts, stir and cook for a few minutes.
12) Then add the oyster sauce, 1 cup of water and ground black pepper.
13) Let it cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the onion looks translucent.
14) Add the tofu and green onions, stir gently with a wooden spoon.
15) Then add the chopped green and red chili peppers. Stir occasionally and let it cook for a few minutes.
16) In a small bowl, mix the potato starch powder and 1 tablespoon water so the starch is dissolved. Then pour it into the wok gently.
17) Lastly drizzle in the sesame oil.
18) Transfer the mapo tofu to a wide serving bowl and serve hot with rice.