Tofu And Vegetable Squares
|Regular tofu||15 Ounce (1 1/2 Cakes, 425 Gram)|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||2|
|Carrot piece||1 (3-Inch Piece)|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
1. Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft (about 1 hour), keeping them submerged by covering with drop-lid, flat pan lid, or saucer.
2. Mash tofu well by hand. Drain mushrooms and discard stems. Peel carrot. Finely chop carrot and mushrooms. Slice green beans diagonally into thin strips.
3. Parboil vegetables together (including mushrooms).
4. Prepare a cheesecloth-lined colander. Add mashed tofu to parboiled vegetables, stir once or twice, then pour vegetable and tofu mixture into a cheesecloth-lined colander. Draw cloth up around mixture and twist ends to remove most, but not all, of the moisture.
5. Beat eggs and combine with mixture in a bowl. Add sugar, soy sauce, and pinch salt.
To cook and serve
1. Preheat a 9-inch (23-cm) skillet over low heat. Lightly oil bottom and sides of skillet. Reheat. Pour in mixture in an even layer and cook over low heat. Pierce through to bottom of skillet in several places to allow even heat distribution. Turn when bottom of tofu patty is firmly cooked and slightly browned. Cook until second side is also firm and slightly browned.
2. Turn out onto cutting board. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Serve hot or cold. Keeps 2 days at most.