Vegetable Tofu Stir Fry
|Dry sherry||2 2⁄3 Tablespoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger root||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Ginger root||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated and pared|
|Vegetable oil||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Tofu||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (Soybean Curd)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), diagonally sliced and blanched|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), blanched|
|Zucchini||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Zucchini||1 Cup (16 tbs), diagonally sliced|
|Mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Chinese pea pods||1 Cup (16 tbs), stem ends and strings removed|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
1) Combine together the sherry and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir well to dissolve.
2) Add the sugar, salt, soy sauce and ginger root. Stir well and set aside.
3) Heat the oil in a wok or 12-inch non-stick skillet.
4) Add the tofu and cook, quickly stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Take the tofu out of the skillet and set aside.
6) To the skillets, add the carrots, Stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
7) Add all the remaining vegetables and continue to stir fry till the vegetables are soft-crisp. This takes about 4 to 5 addition minutes of cooking.
8) Add the sherry mixture and stir well. Continue to cook and stir till the mixture has thickened.
9) Put the tofu back in the skillet and cook till the tofu has thoroughly heated (2 to 3 minutes).
10) Serve hot.