All Time Favorite Vegetable Tofu Nimono
|Carrot||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100g)|
|Bamboo shoot||3 1⁄2 Ounce, boiled (100g)|
|Kombu kelp||1 1⁄16 Ounce (30g, that was used for making Dashi Stock)|
|Renkon||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100g, Lotus Root)|
|Satoimo||1⁄2 Pound (200g)|
|Konnyaku||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100g, Konjac)|
|Gobo||2 2⁄3 Ounce (75g, Edible Burdock)|
|Atsuage||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100g, Deep-Fried Tofu)|
|Snap peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||4|
|Dashi stock||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs) (400cc, Shiitake Liquid+Premade Dashi Stock*)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Hon mirin||2 Tablespoon|
1. Cut carrot wedges as you roll the carrot.
2. Cut the tip of the boiled bamboo shoot and cut it down the middle, cut the rest into rolling wedges like the carrot.
3. Cut the kombu kelp that was used for making dashi stock.
4. Peel the lotus root, cut it down the middle and then cut it into wedges by rolling.
5. Add vinegar to a bowl of water and add the lotus root wedges into it. It will prevent the lotus root from losing its white color.
6. Peel the satoimo potatoes and cut into pieces. Keep it in a bowl and add salt to it. Rub them with hand until they are gluey on the outside.
7. Give the satoimo a good rinse.
8. Pat the konnyaku, it will make it more absorbent.
9. Tear the konnyaku into pieces with a spoon.
10. Put the konnyaku in a pot of water and turn on the burner. Boil it for 3 minutes after it starts to boil. Remove from boiling water.
11. Cut the gobo into rolling wedges.
12. Rinse them lightly and put them in a pan of water. Boil for 5 minutes and then remove.
13. Put the deep fried tofu in the same boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove it and dab it dry with a paper towel. cut it into 6 equal squares.
14. String the snap peas, add salt to boiling water and immerse the snap peas.
15. Remove and let the snap peas cool in ice water.
16. Put pre washed dried shiitake mushroom in a small box, add water and place a weight on it.
17. Cover the box with the lid and give it a good shake. Let it sit in the fridge until the stem becomes soft.
18. Lightly squeeze the mushroom to remove some of the extra liquid.
19. Cut the stem of the mushroom and slice the mushroom cap diagonally into 2 pieces.
20. Strain the shitake liquid through a wired sieve. Add the pre made dashi stock to measure 1 3/4 US cups.
21. Take carrot, bamboo shoot, satoimo potatoes, lotus root and gobo in a pot and add the dashi stock mixture. turn on the burner and bring to a boil.
22. When it starts to boil, remove the foam from the surface and add sugar and sake to the stock.
23. Place a drop lid on the top of the vegetables and cook over medium low heat for a couple of minutes.
24. Again skim the foam from the surface.
25. Remove the drop lid and proceed to add soy sauce along with the Atsuage.
26. Stir lightly with a paddle and reapply the drop lid and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the ingredients become soft.
27. When the liquid has almost evaporated completely, add the mirin.
28. Place the snap peas over the vegetables and toss it over on high heat.
29. The veggies will soak up the remaining liquid while cooling.
30. It can be reheated before eating.