|For the shortbread|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon, cold (cut into small pieces)|
|For the toffee|
|Pecans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||5 Tablespoon (cut into pieces)|
|Packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Agave nectar/Honey||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For the topping|
|Bittersweet chocolate chips||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White chocolate chips||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
2. Make a foil sling to fit in the baking dish, spray the dish with cooking spray, set aside.
3. Prepare a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
4. In the food processor, add flour, sugar and salt and process for 30 seconds or until well combined.
5. Add the butter and pulse to cut and blend the butter into the flour mixture, the flour mixture should resemble like crumbs, pulse for about twelve 1 second pulses.
6. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add milk and mix until the mixture holds together and does not crumble.
7. Press the dough in the prepared baking dish, make an even layer and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
8. Place the pecans on the sheet pan and form a single layer, roast in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes or until very lightly brown.
9. Once done remove and set aside to cool.
10. Remove the chilled dough and bake it for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
11. Add the toasted pecans in the food processor and pulse it until they are coarsely chopped.
12. Transfer the nuts in a bowl, remove 2 tablespoon of the nuts and add it back to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped this is for the topping, set aside in a bowl.
13. Start making the toffee, In a medium size saucepan combine butter, agave, milk and salt, bring it to a boil over medium heat for 3 minutes, uncovered.
14. Now remove the shortbread dough from the oven.
15. Stir in the vanilla and the coarsely chopped pecans into the toffee mixture.
16. Once done spread the toffee over the baked shortbread dough.
17. Bake it again in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until the toffee at the sides starts to bubble and the exposed shortbread starts to brown.
18. Once done remove from the oven and sprinkle bittersweet and white chocolate chips over the hot toffee.
19. Let it sit for 1 minute and allow the chocolates to melt, using an offset spatula, spread chocolate across the toffee.
20. Sprinkle finely chopped pecans on top.
21. Cool the toffee completely at room temperature.
22. Remove the foil sling from the baking dish and place it on the chopping board.
23. Remove the foil and cut the toffee into squares.
24. Serve the shortbread toffee after a hearty meal.