Best Toffee Ever
|Butter||1 Pound (salted)|
|White sugar||1 Pound|
|Semi sweet chocolate chips||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Macadamia nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crushed|
1. In a freezer bag, put the nuts, seal it and crush them using a metal mallet.
2. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and sugar. Cook stirring constantly until the butter melts.
3. Raise the heat and allow the mixture to come to a slow boil, stirring continuously.
4. Continue stirring and cooking at a slow boil until the mixture becomes a medium to dark amber color, and the temperature reaches 285 F to 300 F.
5. On foil lined baking sheet pour the toffee mixture and spread to get desired thickness and let it set for 2 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the chocolate all over the toffee and let it set for 3 minutes.
7. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer all over the toffee surface, using a butter knife.
8. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press lightly with a spoon.
9. Cover the toffee with parchment paper and place in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 2 hours until set.
10. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container and serve as desired.
This method of making toffee needs the toffee mixture to go as high as 300 F, so do not allow, children and animal near the cooking area.