Sesame Prawn Toasts
Lard or shortening - 1 oz (25 g)
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg white - 1 tablespoon
Spring onions - 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
Fresh ginger root - 1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped
Chinese rice wine (optional) - 1 tablespoon
Thick cornflour paste - 1 tablespoon
White sesame seeds - about 4-5 oz (115-140 g)
White bread - 6 large slices
Oil for deep-frying
Crispy 'seaweed' or shredded lettuce leaves to garnish (optional)
1. To prepare the prawns, mince them and lard until they form a smooth paste.
2. In a bowl mix with the salt, pepper, egg white, spring onions, ginger, wine and cornflour paste.
3. On a large plate or tray spread the sesame seeds evenly.
4. On one side of each slice of bread, spread the prawn paste thickly then place, spread-side down, on the surface of the sesame seeds.
5. In a wok or deep-fryer heat the oil until medium hot (180°C/350°F), deep-fry the 'toasts', spread-side down, 2-3 slices at a time, for about 2-3 minutes or until they start to turn golden.
6. Remove and drain.
7. Trim off the dark brown crusts, cut each slice into 6-8 fingers.
8. Serve on a bed of crispy seaweed' or shredded lettuce leaves.