|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat bread loaf||1 , thinly sliced|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper, over medium heat.
3) To this, stir in the onions. Mix well.
4) Simmer, covered over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring in between.
5) To this, add the vinegar and thyme. Mix well.
6) Simmer again, covered for 20 minutes, stirring in between, until the onions turn very soft and thick. By now, the onions would have absorbed all the liquid in the pan.
7) Meanwhile, on cookie sheets, arrange the bread slices in a single layer.
8) Bake for 10 minutes per each side.
9) With the warm onion mixture, spread the toasted bread slices and serve immediately.