Melty Onion Toasts
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Onions||6 , sliced|
|Castor sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Sourdough bread slices||6|
|Mature cheddar||10 Ounce, sliced (300 Gram)|
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
2) In a sauté pan, melt the butter.
3) Put in the onions and scatter the sugar over. Cover the onions and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat. Stir the onions occasionally. Cook till they turn sticky and golden.
4) Pour in the brandy(if using), reduce it completely and then season to taste. This onion topping can be made 2 days in advance and can kept covered inside the fridge.
5) Toast the bread slices. The toasts can be made up 1 hour before serving.
6) Spread the onions over the toast and top each toast with a slice of cheese.
7) Keep the toasts on to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, till the cheese starts to bubble and turn golden.
8) Decorate each plate with a sprig of dressed watercress next to the onion-cheese toast. Serve hot.
Calories 883 Calories from Fat 422
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.6%
Saturated Fat 30.7 g153.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 599.5 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g25%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.3%
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 37 g73.2%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 34.5%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet