Khao Man Gai
|For the chicken|
|Chicken breast/Thighs||4 Large|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 Medium, juiced (Optional)|
|For the rice|
|Long grain rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemongrass stalk||1 , chopped|
|Ginger slices||2 Medium, minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|For the sauce|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Sweet soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Scallions (green and white)||2 Medium, chopped|
|Chilli pepper||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a pan brown garlic and ginger with some oil.
2. Add chicken in skin side down. Season with salt and pepper the top side first.
3. When bottom side starts to brown, flip chicken over and season with salt and pepper and brown the other side too.
4. When both sides are brown, add in some Thai basil leaves. (Careful: they’ll pop when placed in oil!).
5. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth into pan. Squeeze in some lime juice if desired.
6. Cover and let simmer for around 15 minutes or till chicken is cooked completely through. In the meanwhile cook the rice.
7. RICE: In a pan put washed rice and pour the chicken broth.
8. Add 2 slices of ginger, minced garlic, and a stalk of lemongrass into rice.
9. Cook in pot or rice cooker till the rice is soft and fluffy.
10. SAUCE: In a pan, heat up some regular soy sauce and sweet soy sauce.
11. Add chili peppers, scallions, and lemongrass into pan.
12. Add some vinegar and fish sauce. Stir it around for a bit until the sauce gets hot.
13. In a serving plate, slice up the chicken and serve with chicken-flavored rice with sauce poured on top.
Calories 607 Calories from Fat 88
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.4%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84.1 mg28%
Sodium 1633.1 mg68%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 42 g84.5%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 47.1%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet