Classic Thai Kai Toon
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (1/2 Cup Per Egg)|
|Shallots||3 Medium (1/2 Cup)|
|Spring onions||2 (Scallions)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock powder||1⁄2 Tablespoon (1/2 Cube)|
|Thai seasoning sauce||2 Tablespoon|
1. Finely chop the Spring onions and shallots not so fine.
2. Grind some fresh black pepper, about 1teaspoon.
3. Beat the Eggs in a large bowl thoroughly.
4. Then add the shallots, spring onions, pepper, seasoning sauce, chicken stock and juice of 1/3 Lime (optional chilies chopped or whole)
5. Mix together and add the water still stirring.
6. Pour into steam proof bowls, and we're ready to cook.
7. Prime your steamer and get the water boiling before adding the eggs
8. Place the bowls of egg into the steamer bung the lid on and leave for 10 minutes before checking
9. If they have firmed up at the ten minute stage place a sprig of celery or coriander leaves on top of each and cook a further 2-3 minutes
10. Open the lid and smell!
11. Serve with jasmine rice or some salad if you're on a diet but this dish is a great accompaniment to so many Thai recipes.
Calories 119 Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g8.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 215.2 mg9%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.4%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 7 g14.5%
Vitamin A 14.9% Vitamin C 9.8%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet