Thai Recipes: Thai Red Curry A Favorite Chicken Curry
|Cooking oil||3 Tablespoon (Canola oil, peanut oil, safflower oil any one of these)|
|Chicken breast||1 Pound, bite sized pieces|
|Shrimp||1 Pound (black tiger prawns)|
|Thai red curry paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Brown onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Bamboo shoots||14 Ounce, thinly sliced|
|Garlic cloves||4 , chopped|
|Coconut milk||14 Ounce (unsweetened)|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Palm sugar/Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemongrass stalk||2 Small|
|Kaffir lime leaves/Bay leaves||2|
|Red bell pepper||2 , thinly sliced|
|Mushroom slices||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Shitake, straw, beech, shimeji, crimini any mushroom of your choice)|
|Chopped basil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Thai basil)|
|Lime||1⁄2 , cut into quarters|
|Basil leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Courgette||1⁄4 , julienned|
|Sesame oil||To Taste (Optional)|
1. In a wok, heat oil and saute onion on medium high heat, add in ginger and garlic and stir for 5 minutes.
2. Put in Thai curry paste and little chicken stock, stir well to mix, and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to medium low, pour in coconut milk and mix.
4. Add in remaining stock, and bring to a boil.
5. Lower the heat and allow to simmer, add in lemongrass, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves and brown sugar and stir.
6. Raise the heat to medium high heat and bring to boil, add in the chicken and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Put in the bamboo shoots, stir and add in mushroom leave it for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Sprinkle in the Thai basil, stir for 2 minutes.
9. Lower the heat to low simmer and put in the prawns and cook for 2 minutes.
10. Serve hot on a bed of rice, garnished with basil leaves, courgettes and drizzle with some sesame oil (if using).
11. Serve with lime wedges on side, to squeeze on top.