Thai Spicy Sour Soup - Tom Yum Goong
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Shallot||2 Medium, smashed|
|Galangal slice||4 Small, thin slices|
|Lemon grass stalk||1 Medium, bruised and cut into sections (Woody part discarded)|
|Chili paste with soy bean oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Chili jam - Prik pao)|
|Coconut milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Button mushrooms||3 Ounce, quartered|
|Kaffir lime leaves||3 Medium|
|Sea food||6 Ounce (De-veined raw shrimp and blue crabs used)|
|Tomato||1⁄2 Medium, wedged|
|Chicken breast||1 Medium, sliced thinly and boiled|
|Rice noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Boiled)|
|Fresh lime juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Thai chilies||6 Medium, chopped|
|Fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
1. In a large pot heat the chicken stock. Add garlic cloves, shallot, galangal and lemon grass. This will form an aromatic base.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the chili jam and coconut milk.
3. When the stock comes to a boil, add the button mushrooms, kaffir lime leaves, raw shrimp, blue crabs and tomato wedges. Mix everything and cover and cook until the seafood is done.
4. After a while open the lid and the seafood should give a nice aroma. At this point add the mix of chili jam and coconut milk and stir it well.
5. To this add the cut pieces of chicken breasts.
6. In a serving bowl put the boiled rice noodles at the bottom and top it with some Thai chilies, some fresh lime juice and fish sauce. Ladle the finished soup on top and garnish with fresh cilantro.
7. Serve warm.