Thai Pickled Cucumbers
|Seedless cucumber||1 , unpeeled (Hothouse)|
|Coarse salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried red chilies||3 Small (Such As Bird Eye Chinese, / Other Small Red Chilies)|
1. Cut the cucumber lengthwise into halves.
2. Chop them crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
3. In a bowl, toss cucumber in salt.
4. Let it stand for 1 hour; toss once or twice.
5. In a small saucepan, blend vinegar and sugar.
6. Lightly crush dry red chilies and discard seeds.
7. Add crushed chilies to the saucepan.
8. Gently heat the saucepan for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to dissolve sugar.
9. Cool to room temperature.
10. Toss cucumber in cooled vinegar mixture and let it stand for another 1 hour.
11. Drain and serve.