Gai haw bai toey is a Thai dish of fried chicken wrapped in pandan leaves. The leaves lend a vanilla-like aroma to the meat and combined with coconut milk and lemongrass, you have something very beautiful and delicious. Enjoy this recipe.
1 Pound (Boneless and skinless, cut into slightly bigger than bite size chunks)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For frying)
For the marinade
2 Tablespoon, minced
1 Tablespoon, chopped finely (Lower tender part of the stem)
1 Tablespoon, minced
1 Tablespoon, chopped
1 Tablespoon, chopped finely
1 Can (10 oz)
1 Tablespoon, ground
1 Pinch (For the seasoning)
1. Take a bowl and add shallots, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, cilantro, brown sugar, soy sauce, coconut milk and seasoning it with a pinch of pepper. Combine well.
2. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and marinate it for at least 45 minutes.
3. After 45 minutes, take each piece of chicken and wrap it into pandan leaf pieces and skew one or two chicken wraps through a skewer.
4. Take a pan with hot oil and fry the chicken in the skewers. Once done remove the skewers from the heated oil.
5. Serve the fried chicken with rice. The wrappers are not edible so that have to be removed before eating the chicken.
Things You Will Need
1. Fresh pandan leaves (pandanus)- 1 bunch, for wrapping the chicken pieces
Here's an exotic Thai recipe which is a true delicacy. This video makes chicken gai haw bai toey. It is a fried chicken in pandan leaves. Marinated in coconut milk, lemon grass, shallots and cilantro - this emits an inspiring Thai taste in every bite. Wrapped in pandan leaves and fried...mmmm this is yummy with warm rice.
Gai Haw Bai Toey Recipe Video, Thai Fried Chicken In Pandan Leaves