1. Heat the panini grill to high.
2. Brush the eggplant slices with oil.
3. In a bowl mix together, lime juice, fish sauce, olive oil, sugar and chilli.
4. Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
5. Grill the eggplant slices in 2 batches for about 6 to 8 minutes or until brown and soft.
6. In a bowl, place the eggplant slices and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to cool completely.
7. Using a shape knife, chop the eggplant coarsely.
8. In a bowl, toss together eggplant, herbs and tomato.
9. Add in the fish sauce dressing and toss well with the eggplant mixture.
10. Allow the eggplant mixture to sit for 30 minutes; adjust seasoning.
For the rice
11. In a small saucepan, combine rice with water and salt bring to a boil.
12. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until rice has absorbed all the water.
13. Allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes and fluff using a fork.
14. Serve the eggplant mixture over the hot rice bed.
15. Grilled Eggplant Thai Salad with Purple Jasmine Rice can also be served cold.
There are many magical ingredient pairings like cilantro and mint. There is just something about these two ingredients getting together that makes both shine above and beyond what they are capable of alone. Together they fill the air with a fresh and intoxicating aroma. This eggplant salad has lots of color and abundance of flavor. The purple jasmine rice has a smoky flavor that makes a wonderful base to the zing of the fish sauce and lime juice. This can be a great side or vegetarian main dish. You can add