Tips To Wrap Tofu In Bacon
Tofu is a very popular ingredient in vegetarian cuisines as it is a rich source of protein. Chefs season chunks of tofu with a range of sauces and ingredients and then wrap it with bacon to make a luscious appetizing starter. Most people think it has a bland taste but it is a versatile ingredient as it actually absorbs nearly every seasoning ingredient that is used on it.
How to Make Your Version of Tofu n’ Bacon Wraps?
1. Selecting the Ingredients
- Selecting Tofu - There are several different types of tofu that can be used to make the stuffing. If you want a softer version of tofu, you can use silken tofu which has the same consistency of cream cheese. It can be flavored with a range of ingredients like dried shrimp, soy sauce, chili sauce etc and then used as a spread on top of the bacon strips before wrapping it up to make a roll. Firm tofu is like firm custard and it can absorb any variety of sauces. We recommend the use of firm tofu in this dish. You can also use dried tofu, pickled tofu, stinky tofu, flavored sweet tofu, savory tofu, thousand layer tofu, koya-dofu, and even dehydrated tofu. If you are using tofu for the first time, we suggest you stick to firm tofu which has the best consistency for making a wrap.
Selecting Bacon- You can choose any variety of bacon you want for this dish. Most chefs prefer to use streaky bacon, Virginia bacon, Canadian bacon, turkey bacon and pancetta to make the dish. To make a completely vegetarian version, you can use TVP which is treated to taste like bacon but is made from soy protein.
- Flavoring ingredients – Tofu is incredibly absorbent and any sauce can be used to flavor it. Most chefs recommend soaking the tofu overnight in a marinade of your choice. This will color the tofu and provide taste as well. Popular sauces that are used include soy sauce, vinegar, citrus juice, salt, barbeque sauce, teriyaki sauce etc.
2. Preparing and Serving the Tofu with Bacon
The chunks of tofu are wrapped with bacon and then grilled or roasted. You can also bake or pan-fry the bacon wrapped tofu before serving.
- To add flavor to the tofu, you have to pre-marinate the tofu for atleast an hour.
- Tofu is available at all Asian food stores or fresh food delis in packaged form.
- Do not use oil in your marinade as it delays the absorption of the flavors.
Bacon wrapped tofu is an easy convenience dish that requires minimal preparation time. Several variations can be made with the same ingredients and vegetarians versions are also easy to make. How do you prepare your tofu and bacon wraps? If you have any tips that you would like to share with us, do let us know.
Image Credit- art-food-yum.blogspot.in