How To Shred Onion
Shredded onion has more texture than chopped or diced ones and hence, when added to sandwiches, salads, marinades, soups, stir-fries etc, they blend to increase volume and adds a bite too. Shredding onion is not a very difficult job and if you have a working manual grater, you job is done. For large quantities of shredded onion, a blender or food processor would be the contraption of choice. Read on for details steps…
Steps to Shred Onion
- Peel onions and get rid of the flaky skin.
- Place peeled onion on the cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut through the stalk to get two halves. Using a paring knife cut and discard the stem base.
- Manual grater – This is the most common tool of choice for grating onion. A stand-alone grater would be ideal. Just place it on the plate or bowl and run one half of the onion on the metal rivets in a downward movement. Then again, bring it up and repeat.
- Food processor/ Blender – Cut onion halves into smaller pieces and transfer into the food chute of a food processor or a blender. Process to get shredded onion.
- Shredded onion is best used immediately, since this would ensure maximum taste.
Watch the video for more information on how to shred onion:
Learn to shred onion the right way at home and use it in a variety of recipes as desired.
Video credit: youtube.com/