How To Cut Tomato
Tomatoes are part and parcel of almost all recipes and hence learning how to cut tomato without making a mess of the seeds is vital. Tomatoes can be cut in various ways depending on the recipe they are to be used in. Thus, you can slice, dice, chop and even cut tomatoes into wedges. Let us see how to cut tomato in all these different ways.
Common Method of Cutting Tomato
- Clean tomato under running water. Take care not to rub the tomato lest you bruise it.
- Place washed tomato upright on cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife cut vertically through the stalk and downwards to divide tomato into 2 halves.
- To remove the stem from each half of tomato, make diagonal cuts on both sides of stem to form a triangle and ease out the stem.
- Now place tomato, face upwards, on cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut tomato into smaller pieces.
Tomato Cut into Slices
- Clean tomato and place on cutting board.
- Slice off the bottom of tomato.
- Remove stem of tomato by making a circular cut around the stem.
- Place tomato parallel to cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, make slices of tomato of desired thickness.
Cutting Tomato into Cubes or Dicing
- Wash tomato. Remove stem.
- Place upright on cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, slice off the sides. Take care to avoid the seeds which remain in the core. This would save tomato from getting messy.
- Cut the thin slices into strips.
- Holding them together, rotate, make cuts perpendicular to previous cuts to cut tomato into fine small pieces.
- Diced tomato is ready to be used in salads, stir fries, stews, soups etc.
Tomato Cut into Wedges
- Wash and clean tomato.
- Cut vertically to divide into two halves.
- Divide the halves further by slicing them lengthwise.
- Tomato wedges are ready.
Tomato is often peeled and then cut too. See how to peel and cut tomato here. Once you learn how to cut tomato, you could save lot of time and energy while cooking.