How To Cut Turkey
Come Thanksgiving and knowing how to cut turkey becomes a pressure to reckon with. Improperly cut turkey can lead to chewy slices. Hence learning how to cut the bird properly is a necessity. Once you master the nuances of cutting a turkey, the same techniques can be used in cutting smaller birds like chickens and hens.
Steps to Follow to Cut Turkey Properly
- Take turkey out of oven and let sit for 20 minutes so that the juices mingle well and get settled.
- The first step is the cut the legs. Hold one of the legs and insert knife between the skin holding thigh and body together. Cut skin until you reach the joint.
- Pull leg back and remove it completely. Use the point of knife to disjoin the bone.
- Slice through the body of turkey, horizontally, above wing.
- Disjoin the wings using a similar procedure as used while cutting the legs. Cut downwards and slice through the skin. Pull wings out and disjoin it from breast.
- Cut vertically through the breast bone and divide turkey into two halves.
- Separate one of the breast and place on cutting board.
- Make slices of the breast and serve. Ensure to make slices across the grain. Slicing along with grain can lead to chewy pieces.
- The other breast can also be cut in a similar fashion.
- Remove rest of meat from bone.
Well, follow steps exactly to cut turkey correctly. The leftover turkey pieces can be made into a number of interesting dishes.
Image credit: pauladeen.com