How To Peel Butternut
How to peel butternut is one question that bothered me for a long time till I managed to find an answer to it. A butternut can be hard to peel and many a times I’ve refrained from buying it because I could not muster enough energy to peel it.Yes, after doing a bit of ‘research’ I’ve managed to lay my hands on several techniques of peeling butternut which are easy to carry out and make the task seem less of a challenge. And all those techniques I’m going to share here with you so that you can also avail the benefits from this knowledge.
Peeling Butternut Made Easy
As I said before, there are several ways of doing it.
Use A Knife
- Take a butternut and wash it well with water. Dry it and place it on a chopping board.
- Now take a large knife, a chef’s knife and using that, cut off both the ends of the butternut.
- After doing that, stand the butternut on the chopping board and cut it lengthwise into two halves.
- Now wash the butternut from the inside as well and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. You can discard the seeds.
- Now cut the butternut in several large chunks. Doing this will make it easy to peel and cut it.
- Use the knife to peel off the skin of the butternut. For doing this, place the blade of the knife between the skin of the butternut and its flesh. Now move the knife towards you. It may be a bit tricky but don’t worry it will be easy once you get the hang of it.
- You can also try and cut the chunks of the butternut and place them upright on the chopping board. Now take the knife and placing it in between the flesh and the peel, slide it down towards the chopping board.
Use A Peeler
- Wash the butternut well with water and after drying place it on a chopping board.
- Now with the help of a sharp knife cut off both the ends of the butternut.
- Taking the peeler, make sure it is very sharp, start peeling away the skin of the butternut in firm moves.
- After it is peeled, place it upright on the chopping board and cut it into two halves.
- Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds from the butternut.
- Now it is ready cut it and use it any way you want to.
Roast & Peel With Your Hands
- If you want an easy way out to peel butternut, what you can do is wash it well and dry it out.
- Now instead of using a peeler of knife, just roast it with the peel intact.
- Once the peel becomes soft upon roasting, let it cool down.
- Now just peel away the skin with your hands or knife.
- Another way is to boil it first so that the peel becomes soft and then when it cools down, peel away the skin with your hands.
- Exercise caution while handling knife and peeler as you may hurt yourself.
Now that you know how to peel butternut in various ways, choose the one accroding to your comfort levels.
Image credit: ifood.tv