Mayfair Tea Ring
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Finely chopped pistachio nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (10X)|
1. Measure flour, baking powder and salt into sifter.
2. Beat butter or margarine and granulated sugar until fluffy in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract and vanilla.
3. Sift in dry ingredients, a third at a time, adding alternately with milk; stir with wire whip or beat with mixer at low speed just until blended. Fold in nuts. Pour into a well greased and floured 6-cup angel cake tube pan. (Or spoon into a well greased and lightly floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.)
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; loosen around edge with knife; turn out onto rack; cool completely.
6. Wrap in wax paper, aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store for at least a day before slicing.
7. When ready to serve, sift 10X sugar over cake; top with a ring of slivered pistachio nuts, if you wish.