Sweet Almond Tea With Rice
|Raw rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond meats||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Wash raw rice. Soak overnight in water to cover. Then drain well.
2. Blanch almonds. Grind almonds and rice to a fine powder, either by hand (with a mortar and pestle), or in a food mill.
3. Place mixture in a bowl. Add the second quantity of water and let stand 1 hour; then stir thoroughly.
4. Strain mixture through a double thickness of cheesecloth into the top of a double boiler. Gather together corners of the cheesecloth, and squeeze the remaining liquid into the pan.
5. Boil remaining water in the lower half of the double boiler; then reduce heat to medium. Cook almond-rice mixture over it, stirring until it thickens. (During this period, "milk" the cheesecloth into the pan several times.)
6. Next stir in sugar, salt and vanilla extract to dissolve; then turn up heat to bring mixture quickly to a boil.