Summer Sugarless Strawberry Tart
To prepare the dough for the crust:
1. Cream the butter in a large bowl with a wire whisk. Add sugar substitute or powder sugar, egg yolk, and mix well.
2. Sift in flour and fold in with a spatula. At the beginning, it becomes like Parmesan cheese. Then after a while, it comes together, so mix with patience.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate the crust for at least 1 hour to chill.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F)
For the filling:
5. Cream the butter in a large bowl with a wire whisk. Add sugar substitute or powder sugar, egg, cornstarch, almond powder, Kirsch (if you like), and mix well until smooth.
6. Roll out the prepared crust dough between two pieces of plastic wrap to 4mm (just over 1/8-inch) thickness.
7. Transfer the crust to a tart pan with a removable bottom. Press it evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. 8. Trim crust flush with the edges of the pan. Lightly prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.
9. Fill the almond filling and smoothen the top with a spatula or palette knife.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until lightly browned.
11. Place the tart pan on the wire rack to cool.
To make the glazing syrup,
12. Mix sugar substitute or granulated sugar, hot water, and Kirsch if you like. Keep aside to cool slightly.
To decorate the tart:
13. Strain fresh apricot jam to remove any large clumps.
14. Wash and hull strawberries, leave one strawberry whole and cut others into halves. If using any other berry, leave whole depending on the size.
15. When the tart is completely cool, remove from the pan and gently brush the top with syrup and apricot jam.
16. Place the strawberry whole in the middle and arrange the strawberry halves around it, overlapping them slightly.
17. Mix the remaining jam and a bit of syrup to thin down the jam. Using a pastry brush, coat strawberries with jam to give a shine.
18. Serve the tart chilled on a pastry platter. Garnish with mint leaves if you like.
19. Provide a pastry slicer to cut and serve the tart wedges.